When creativity hits me, I'm usually in the middle of changing diapers or nursing the baby, making dinner, folding laundry or....well, you get the idea. During the rare moments of still and quiet, creativity is squelched by exhaustion.
For those of you still checking us out, I am stealing a few moments to provide an update. Though I am not even sure where to begin!
In our house, we have learned that each day should begin with very low expectations. Intentionally keeping the bar low reduces stress and conflict and allows freedom for more fun. And fun is good. Fun produces smiles and laughter, which in turn produce the most amazing memories.
The past few months have truly been a whirlwind. I am astounded that it is already the end of June...my mind is still stuck in March! AHHH!
We've been through so much as a family in the past few months, from sickness, an unexpected death in the family, and even a motorcycle accident (in which no one was seriously hurt, thank goodness!). Thankfully, some happier moments of baby milestones, a short family vacation and more recently, potty training!
The twins.
Eli and Zek are two AMAZING little boys. However, there's really nothing "twin" about them. They are night and day when it comes to comparison. This is super fun and super exhausting. Parenting two two and a half year olds with completely different personalities is not an easy feat. We are faced daily with lessons of how to respond to each of them. Some days, we fail miserably. And some days we celebrate because for that moment, we got it right. But no matter how the days go, as we tuck our precious boys into bed, we do so with grateful hearts. We thank God every day for the AWESOME gift of these boys.
Watching Eli and Zek is so much fun. "Big boys", as they call themselves. And these days, it's all about being big. ..."When I get big like daddy" or "When I get big like mommy".... Funny (and sad) how suddenly they want to be grown up. They're also at that stage where, they remember and repeat EVERYTHING they hear and see. Wow. And they're so much smarter than we
Both my big boys love to run ("race"), "help" with the dishes and laundry, and "read" books. We have story time several times a day. Their favorite is when Momma tells stories about the adventures of three special boys names Eli, Zek and Isaac....
They love Sunday School. They talk about it all week long and when we leave church, they ask when we get to go back to "God's House".
And baby boy makes three.
Even with all this "chaos!" I (still) consider having three boys a blessing. I love being a mom, especially to boys! They are rowdy, loud, dirty, funny, and just plain fun! They have turned my world upside-down. Everything I thought I knew about myself; I'm learning I'm much stronger than I thought...I can handle much more than I thought....I can be more patient than I thought. And all BY THE GRACE OF GOD. And because THROUGH CHRIST I CAN HANDLE ANYTHING. And because PRAYER CHANGES THINGS.
Love and grace abound. And forgiveness lives here.
BJ and I, like most parents, I imagine, have been tested and put through the ringer (and this is only the beginning!). There are days when we think may not survive. There are days when our patience is so tested, we think it's run out. There are these days when we fail to communicate causing each of us to feel vulnerable, weak and...frustrated. BUT, when night falls and silence and peace fall over our home, it's much easier to look each other in the eye. I don't think either of us has heard or said "I'm sorry" so much in our lives. But, it works. Forgiveness is the best peacemaker.
...And believe me, in a life full of chaos, peace with your best friend, your life partner, your closest confidant, really is the best medicine.
Coming up.
As we continue to enjoy summer, we are looking forward to some fun upcoming events. More mini-vacations, a family trip to Cedar Point!, a big barbecue here at out house, lots of swimming, and even some weddings! Most excitedly, pre-school! The boys and I will start homeschool this fall. We're diving in head-first. I cannot wait to share with you as we embark on this special adventure. I'm sure there will be some stories to make you laugh!
In the meantime, check out some of these books I've been reading (you know, in my "spare" time. Ha!)
One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
The Most Important Place on Earth by Robert Wogemuth
And Then I Had Kids

No comments:
Post a Comment