The boys are at Grammy's house for the night. All three of them. It's strange, when mom was talking about the boys spending the night, at first, I was thinking of just the twins. After some thinking, I thought, well, it's kind of a package deal now. Baby boy is really no longer a baby.
..."Sooo mom, when you say the boys, you mean all three, right?"...brief silence..."Yes."
"Oh, ok. Just checking..."
So here I am. The man is out in the barn. And I'm here, nursing a cold, doing all the things I don't get to do while the boys are here. Like, burn candles in the living room, watch a chick-flick before bedtime, put my feet up, woolly socks and all, drink hot tea and have the m&ms all to myself. All while blogging.
..........
Today, one of my three year olds says to me, ..."well, when I was a kid..." Right. Because three is soooo old son. Geesh.
Another boy, my "middle child" (baby B of the twins) has decided to be "just like mommy". He's bossy and points at his brothers saying things like, "that is unacceptable behavior!" or "you need to stop that or you will go to time-out" and frequently walks into a room saying, "Oh.My.Goodness. WHAT is going on in here?". He even has "the scowl" down pat. It's like looking in the mirror. Oh my.
About that. You know, the whole "looking in the mirror" thing. Is that NOT common sense? Or do some parents really not get that part? Children truly are a product of their home. I've always known that, but being a parent, I have witnessed it. Our children are just like us, they live what we live, they say what we say AND do. And there is no explaining to a small child that they are to "do what you say and not as you do". Probably not likely in older children either.
Several weeks ago, my mom and I and the kiddos were at the store in our small home town. We headed to the kids clothing section and immediately two little boys ran out in front of us jumping around throwing balls and yelling. My boys immediately wanted to "Go play with those boys."
"Absolutely not guys. That is not how we behave at the store."
Normally, when I take all three kids to the store, I only let one walk at a time (meaning, the other two stay in the cart.) After a few minutes my "walking" boy started jumping around and through the clothing racks. I immediately leaned down and said firmly, "That is unacceptable behavior. If you don't stop jumping around and being loud, you will have to get in the cart."
[Because I am trying to teach them to behave properly in public. Because I am responsible for these little lives and how they grow.]
Soon thereafter, I hear a guy (who looked like a kid himself) cussing loudly and repeating what I said. He was talking about me of course and loudly proclaiming that if I was talking about his kids he was going to [bleepbleep]....
I kept my distance, but I walked over close enough for him to hear me, "Are you serious? I was not talking to or about your children, I'm over here dealing with my own three." (he never responded directly back to me.)
For a short time, he, his wife (or girlfriend) and their children were a few aisles ahead of us, talking and cussing loudly about the situation and of course, mocking me. Because my discipline tactics were sooooo funny, I guess.
At first, I was furious. F U R I O U S. I had so many judgmental thoughts and things I wanted to "preach" and yell at them. Even my mom wanted to share a few choice words with them once I explained to her what happened. We just kept our distance. Eventually, they left and I cooled down and got over it. Later, I was saddened. Sad that the kids (perhaps just a few years older than my boys) had to hear those kind of things and see that kind of behavior from their dad, you know, their role model. Perhaps that's me being judgmental too, but really, come on. We see this all.the.time. Parents acting out, talking foolishly, fighting even in front of the kids. (and I'm not talking spats where you forgive each other afterwards; teaching your kids about forgiveness), I'm sad for those kids and worry about my own kids having to face that anger when they go out into the world. My husband and I ARE NOT PERFECT; we mess up, frequently sometimes, praying that we haven't completely screwed up. But, there are things you just DO NOT say or do in front of your kids. You just don't. Not if you want them to learn anything about being respectful and responsible. And grow up with some common sense and if you have any kind of faith, well, obviously there are things you just.do.not.do.
And men. Here in our house, we are raising boys. Prayerfully, to become God-fearing, strong, kind, moral, respectable, protective, men. What a shortage there seems to be of that.
Yikes.
Okay. Jumping off my soapbox now. Just had to get that off my chest.
.....
On another note, (now that my blood pressure is up from rehashing that memory! Ha!)...
My heart is heavy for some little ones who lost their momma the other day. She was a fellow MOPS member and a kind soul. Like so many, she was fighting her own battles, but recently was trying to find peace for herself and her family. She is resting in the full peace of Jesus now. Dancing in Heaven. I cannot help but feel sad for her kiddos. It seems many a mommy's biggest fear is leaving her little ones too soon. I know that personally. Won't you please remember these kiddos and the rest of the family in your prayers?
...
Until next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment