Thursday, May 23, 2013

Words.

"Choose your words wisely."

This has echoed in my head throughout the years. But never so much as since having little ones who could talk.
You know, these innocent, intelligent little people, err, repeaters-of-everything-you-say.

Never, ever, have I had to think so carefully about the words coming out of my mouth. And be so sorry when the wrong words spilled out. And then have said word (or words) repeated to me for days after to remind me of my mistake.

I don't cuss. Not out loud anyway. Not usually. Not typically loud enough for anyone to hear.
       Did I really just admit that? ....

So I don't cuss. But what does that mean? There are still LOTS of words we can use that can set our children up for trouble. Or at least give a room full of people a good laugh (while I shrink in embarrassment.)

The other day, E, my "oldest", was angry. I know this because he came stomping into the room, arms crossed, brows furrowed and announced angrily, "I AM ANGRY!"

Deep breath. Okay.  
"Buddy, why are you...angry?"

Those angry little eyes. That frown.
"Because, HE IS CHEESY!", pointing at baby boy.

I wanted to laugh. But I didn't. Instead, my mind scanned back...when did I say that? I knew it likely came from me. My husband doesn't use that word. Well, that I could remember.
Okay, back to present moment.

"Buddy, do you know what that word means?"

"YES MOMMY. IT MEANS HE IS MEAN."

"Umm, not so much kiddo."


.....


One day, I was having an adult conversation and I used the word stupid to describe something. The boys were in the other room and I thought nothing of it. But, sure enough, a few days later, one of the boys used that word to describe something they were playing with. And so, it began. We had a conversation about how some words are unkind and shouldn't be used.
"But you said it mommy."
(Oh my.)
"Yes. And mommy was wrong. I am sorry."


How many times I have had to explain mommy was wrong and then had to apologize? Too many to count.

It's just a fact. Every single one of my words are monitored, many are recorded and repeated, by my children.


(And I won't even discuss the fact that they hear much much worse when we go out in public. I'm not even going to think about that right now.)


A humbling reminder that someone else hears our words; knows them before we speak them. Our Heavenly Father. Thankfully, He's full of grace and forgiveness and doesn't throw them back at us.


HUMBLING.

" Choose your words wisely."


No comments: