Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Faith of Children.




I love people. I do. I love chatting and sharing and learning about the lives of those around me. I love making new friends.
But, it's the starting line I am afraid of; you know the whole approaching and introducing part. I usually chicken out. I can't even begin to imagine how many missed opportunities there have been in my life because of this ridiculous fear.

But my boys.
Oh! To be brave like them. They will walk right up to the kids on the playground say, "Hi, I'm ____________. Want to play?". Or people in general, "Hi! I had a virus last year but I'm all better now." Or "Hi! I'm ___________ and I love superheroes, do you love superheroes? ....." And lately, after proper introductions, they've been asking, "Do you have Jesus in your heart?"  
To just about anyone, really.


Seriously. I so want to be like them when I grow up.

We went to our local playground last week and there were two little boys there with their mom. Immediately, the boys approached my boys and asked if they wanted to play. My boys of course said "Yes!" and ran off to play. Seriously, not even looking back.

I was left standing there with this colossal decision; do I sit close to the other mom or on the other side of the park? Do I talk to her? Will she like me? Does she even want company? (Crazy, I know!)
I chose to sit down the way from her, close enough to talk, but enough distance I didn't seem looming.

Then, I heard our boys talking. "I have God in my heart, do you?" "Yes! God is my friend!" "I love God."
Four little big boys sharing their love for God. All my defenses fell. I beamed. I chuckled and said out loud, "Oh wow. Our boys are talking about having God in their hearts."
  We both laughed and immediately, conversation flowed. Turns out, God blessed us with more than just perfect park weather that day. We all gained new friends. Another faithful, sweet momma who loves God and her family, clearly.

I'm not sure what would have happened if it hadn't been for my boys and their faith that day. I may have missed out on something wonderful because of my anxiety and my own insecurities. I'm so thankful to know my boys are willing to share their faith. I pray they never lose willingness and bravery to open right up to people.  

To be fearless and transparent, especially in their faith.


No comments: