Crazy how taking your kids to get haircuts can trigger such deep emotions. How one event can bring up days gone by while simultaneously flashing a glimpse of the future. I watch as these little boys, babies not so long ago, walk into the building, say "Hello, I'm here to get my hair cut", and politely ask for a sucker. The hair stylist says, "Hi guys! Pick out a chair!"
They don't even look back.
Before I know it, they're in their chairs and the stylist is snipping away.
A picture flashes in my mind; the day we brought these little guys home from the hospital. Such tiny bundles. Thoughts racing, memories of their first birthday; they were just starting to walk. Something clicks, scissors clipping away the hairs on their head, my mind returns to present.
I watch the hair falling. I think of these little boys. It won't be long before they are men. I blink back tears. The wriggling, laughing baby in my arms reminds me not to go all blubbery now.
Z turns in his seat, not to look for momma, but looking for brother. "Where's E-I?"
He's right over here buddy, in the airplane chair. "Oh, he's getting his hair cut too."
"Yep, just like you kiddo." He turns back around in his police car, his attention back to the movie the stylist put in for him.
Earlier that day, at breakfast, Z said to me, "When I'm old like daddy....I'm going to ride a motorcyle and work on powerlines." We had a talk with the boys about age just a few days ago, since then, they've been obsessed with talking about how "old" we are.
After haircuts, I told the boys we were going to Chick-Fila to eat and afterwards they could play in the playplace. Eli said with a big grin on his face, "What are you talking about?"
I couldn't help but laugh. Just another phrase he has picked up...oh yes, repeating EVERYTHING they hear.
That smile, I once again went back to that place where they were just a few months old....
"He smiled at me! He really smiled! Not gas this time, no way!" BJ exclaimed to me as I was changing the other wee one.
I remember through my exhaustion cracking up at this statement. I don't think I'll ever forget that day. Because later, I swore the other baby smiled at me. Two babies smiling in the same day. "Mommmeeeeeee!! Where are we going today?" Zek's sweet voice brings me back to present.
"Well, we're going to go eat and then play." I smiled at him through the rear view mirror.
"Oh yea!" He called out over Eli's playful hoorays.
These days, anything involving play makes them happy. It's really so simple. Though, most days, I forget that. I get so wrapped up in thinking that I forget that doing really works much better.
They just want to play. And run. And be boys. Small men, cars, toy guns, balls, LOTS of balls, and wide open spaces bring them to life. Joy life. The only thing better, to them, is when you join them. Laughter fills this place and seems to grow louder as mommy and daddy join in. I love these days. When I can bring joy to my children just by playing with them.
The day before, we threw frisbees and had watergun fights all afternoon. Eli kept saying "That's fun mommy!! You're so fun!"
Yesterday, we ran circles around the downstairs, the boys couldn't stop laughing. All we were doing was running. But they had a blast. I laughed right along with them. The baby was jumping and laughing, he has a good time just watching us.
How simple these days really are. How joy can live here in the easiest ways. I want to bottle these days. Savor them. Remember them always.
No comments:
Post a Comment